Saturday, August 15, 2009

Addison's Pillow Case Dress

Here is Addison's new pillow case dress.
I am so excited that it turned out to be so cute and it was fun to make too!!
First, I found the old pillow case that I had mentioned from my earlier post. I decided to fold it in half and then cut it to be about 20" in length. I thought that would be a good length for Addison. She may even be able to wear it next summer as well.
Next, I opened the pillow case onto my cutting mat and using a pencil I lightly traced and cut about a 3" curve for the arm holes.

I then used my rotary cutter to cut three 2 1/2" pieces from the top of the extra pillow case fabric. This fabric will be used for the binding on the arms and the binding at the neckline.


I ironed the binding fabric and then folded in half across the width.

I may have missed a few pictures of the next couple of steps. But I sewed the binding first across the neckline on both sides..and made sure to sew as close to the edge as possible. ( I wanted to make sure that I could slide the elastic through once I was finished sewing).

Then I used 2 pieces of soft elastic, about the width of Addison's collar bone, and with the help of some safety pins, slid the elastic through the neckline.

After that, I sewed the binding along the armholes. This part also helped to secure the elastic in place.

Here is my sweetheart!
Isn't she cute?!?!

2 comments:

carridawn said...

How adorable! Wish I would have done that when Emily was little. Great job!

Jessi said...

If I find a pillowcase, can you help me make one for Aubri?